Whether your concern is an old scar or fear that a new one will heal badly, Family Pharmacy’s custom compounded ScarGel Rx is uniquely formulated for a patient’s individual needs to help reduce the appearance of new or old scars, returning skin to its natural color, tone, and texture.
What is a custom scar gel compound?
- A custom compound gel made in a pharmaceutical grade silicone base with key prescription ingredients to reduce scarring.
What ingredients are in the custom scar gel compound?
- Triamcinolone is a topical steroid which helps locally with inflammation, redness, itching, and swelling.
- Levocetirizine is a topical prescription antihistamine that may help reduce growth of scar tissue during the healing process and reduce itchiness that may come along with healing scars.
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid, is a potent topical antioxidant which is a natural skin brightener that can lighten the pigment of a scar and help it blend in.
What is this medication used for?
- This medication is used to reduce pigment, size and improve the texture of scars and make them less noticeable. Used commonly for hypertrophic scars, keloid scars, C-section scars, hysterectomy scars, and plastic surgery scars. The custom formulated topical silicone scar gel is best used with a high potency vitamin such as WoundVite to help optimize tissue healing by providing adequate vitamins and nutrition to your body.
What is the best way to use this medication?
- Custom scar gel compound is for use only on scars only. Avoid getting this medication in your eyes, lips, or mouth. Wash your hands before and after applying formula. Keep your feet as dry as possible. Follow your doctor’s specific orders if you are unsure how to use the medication. Our wart compound should be applied directly onto the wart once daily or as directed by your healthcare provider. It is recommended that you wear gloves and use a sterile applicator when applying this product. If you choose to cover the wart with a bandage, we highly recommend you apply vaseline or aquaphor on the healthy skin around the wart to prevent damage to the healthy skin.
How do I get this custom formula?
How should I store this medication?
- If the product has arrived warm, wait 2 hours before using. Store this medication in a cool, dry environment, protected from light, at room temperature (68F-77F). Always make sure the container is tightly closed when not using the medication. Keep all medications in a safe place out of pets and children.
What should I tell my doctor before starting this medication?
- Tell your doctor of any medication or ingredient allergies or sensitivities that you may have. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of the drugs in this formulation, as well as related drugs (triamcinolone, levocetirizine dihydrochloride, ascorbic acid, antihistamines, topical steroids). Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breastfeeding.
What are the possible side effects of this medication?
- Skin redness, skin irritation, burning, itching, peeling, thinning of your skin, blistering skin, or stretch marks. Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these less common side effects: Blurred vision, seeing halos around lights, uneven heartbeats, mood changes, sleep problems (insomnia), or puffiness in your face.
How long until I may see an effect from this medication?
- It may take several weeks to months to see maximum results. Compliance is key for optimal results.