What is rosacea compound cream?
- A custom rosacea compound formula that has up to 4 synergistic prescription ingredients made in a hypoallergenic yet elegant dermatological skin base to treat rosacea type 1 and rosacea type 2 symptoms.
What ingredients are in the rosacea compound cream?
- Azelaic Acid is a natural ingredient that is produced by wheat and other grains. Azelaic Acid provides rosacea patients with three important effects, all in one medication: it kills acne-causing bacteria, reduces inflammation (redness) and also reduces pigment production.
- Niacinamide is used as a topical B3 vitamin, also called Nicotinamide. Niacinamide is not the same as Niacin. They are similar, but not the same medicine. Niacinamide is not a vasodilator and does not cause redness or skin flushing like Niacin. Niacinamide has many well studied effects on the skin and is used internationally as an acne and rosacea treatment. It has anti-inflammatory effects to help with redness and irritation, helps to reduce excessive sebum production, and improves ceramide production.
- Ivermectin is a topical medicine used to treat tiny mites called Demodex that live on our skin. Normally, these mites are harmless and we don’t know they are present. However, in patients with Rosacea, the presence of these mites can trigger inflammatory flare-ups that are frustrating to patients and doctors alike. Ivermectin is marketed under the brand name of Soolantra.
- Metronidazole is a topical antibiotic used commonly prescribed as a first-line treatment for Rosacea. The exact mechanism of action is not completely understood, but it likely is a combination of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Metronidazole is marketed under the brand names of Metrocream, Metrogel, Metrolotion and Noritate.
- Oxymetazoline – A topical medicine used as a vasoconstrictor which narrows vessels under the skin to reduce the redness and flushing characteristic of rosacea. Oxymetazoline is marked under the brand name of Rhofade.
What is this medication used for?
- This treatment plan may help reduce symptoms type 1 and type 2 rosacea. Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition. There are several types of Rosacea, all generally characterized by redness ( erythema), inflammation and often acne-like break-outs. As each patient has a different combination of various symptoms, a one-size-fits all approach to treatment is not optimal.
How do I get this custom formula?
- Have your physician prescribe your medication and send the prescription to our pharmacy via fax, phone or by electronic prescription. If you need help on which formula is best, email us for suggestions.
How should I store this medication?
- If the product has arrived warm, wait 2 hours before using. Store this medication in a cool, dry environment, protected from light, at room temperature (68F-77F). Always make sure the container is tightly closed when not using the medication. Keep all medications in a safe place out of pets and children.
What should I tell my doctor before starting this medication?
- Tell your doctor of any medication or ingredient allergies or sensitivities that you may have. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of the drugs in this formulation. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breastfeeding.
What are the possible side effects of this medication?
- Side effects are minimal with this topical formula. Some patients may experience burning, stinging, tingling of the skin, dryness, itching, peeling, redness of the skin, or increased sensitivity to the sun may occur. If these symptoms are severe contact us and your doctor. Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have: worsening of your rosacea symptoms, numbness, tingling, cold feeling in your hands or feet, pale or purple appearance in your fingers or toes, or blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights.
How long until I may see an effect from this medication?
- It may take up to several weeks to see maximum results. It’s best to reduce rosacea “triggers” such as extreme sun exposure, spicy foods, stress and alcohol to get optimal benefit from the formula.